Mixed Berry French Toast Bake Recipe
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, cubed
- 6 egg whites
- 3 eggs
- 1-3/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen unsweetened mixed berries
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1. Place bread cubes in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine the egg whites, eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and salt; pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.
- 2. Thirty minutes before baking, remove the berries from the freezer and set aside, and remove the baking dish from the refrigerator. Bake the French toast, covered, at 350° for 30 minutes.
- 3. In a small bowl, cut butter into brown sugar until crumbly. Sprinkle berries and brown sugar mixture over French toast. Bake, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 8 servings.
1 each: 297 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 88mg cholesterol, 545mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
Reviews for Mixed Berry French Toast Bake
"When I made this was delicious but just a bit soft. I like mine French toad casserole a little crunchy."
"I had to sweeten it more. It was better the 2nd day after the berries softened and were absorbed into the bread."
"It was really easy to make and turned out delicious! The fruit baked beautifully to where you don't even need syrup. I made mine with whole wheat bread to make it even healthier!"
"A big hit at our church brunch table. HINT: instead of trying to crumble the butter sugar mixture, I melted it and drizzed it over the top. It worked really well and much less messy."
"This is fabulous! Easy to make and tastes delicious!"