Mixed Berry Cake Recipe
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen unsweetened mixed berries
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 8 tablespoons reduced-fat whipped topping
- 1. In a small bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites, egg, applesauce, yogurt, sugar and lemon peel; add to flour mixture, stirring gently until blended.
- 2. Spread into a 9-in. round baking pan coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with berries. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and remaining flour; cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Sprinkle over berries.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Serve with whipped topping. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice with 1 tablespoon whipped topping equals 218 calories, 4 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 320 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.