Mixed Berry Cake Recipe
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen unsweetened mixed berries
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 8 tablespoons reduced-fat whipped topping
- In a small bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In another bowl, whisk the egg whites, egg, applesauce, yogurt, sugar and lemon peel; add to flour mixture, stirring gently until blended.
- Spread into a 9-in. round baking pan coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with berries. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar and remaining flour; cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Sprinkle over berries.
- Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Serve with whipped topping. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Mixed Berry Cake
Sort By :
"I have made this easy recipe several times for guests and everybody has always loved it"
"If using frozen berries baking time needs to be at least 55 minutes. I made this for a church coffee and several asked for recipe. I would probably not use blackberries as part of fruit again as seeds were larger."
"I made this cake using freshly frozen blackberries. The flavor was good but the blackberry seeds were a bother. Next time I'll use a different berry."
"I made this cake and it was delious. But I used fresh berries instead ofthe frozen and was delighted with the results. Everyone raved about it. I also used vanilla yogurt instead of plain."
"Was that a dry cake? The picture looks like it is. Thanks, Deb"