- 1 package (12 ounces) mixed dried beans
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 pound ground turkey or beef, cooked and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Pepper to taste
- Rinse and sort beans. Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 to 4 hours or until beans are softened.
- Drain and rinse, discarding liquid. Add water to the beans; bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 to 2 hours or until beans are tender. Discard bay leaves. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Mixed Bean Soup
Sort By :
"I'm in the UK, and used the "Exotic Bean Mix" from Morrison's supermarket to make this. Really nice soup (and I'd never made bean soup before; I'm more of a lentil specialist). Delicious soup, just right for a cold winter day.One point: I added the specified 1 tbsp of salt then tasted the soup immediately. I was horrified at how salty it was. However after 2 hours of simmering the beans, which had been cooked without salt up till then, had absorbed the salt and the soup's seasoning was perfect. Clever cooking."
"Since I live alone, I split this recipe and I still had extra to freeze. This is excellent for cold winter days. The only change I made was to use stewed tomatoes instead of the ordinary diced tomatoes. This is a winner for sure."