Mixed Bean Salad Recipe
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut wax beans, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut green beans, drained
- 3 celery ribs, sliced
- 1/2 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- 2. In a large salad bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Drizzle with dressing; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup equals 207 calories, 9 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 546 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Reviews for Mixed Bean Salad
"Have been looking for a recipe to copy one my grocery store, Dierbergs, made that I loved. This is it!!!"
"Hubby didn't think he would like this, but was pleasantly surprised that he did! I cut the sugar in half and it was still delicious. We both agreed that it could use a little more punch somehow, maybe from a fresh herb or a different vinegar."
"This was great! For a change, use some chick peas and perhaps 1/2 red & 1/2 white kidney beans. Dressing does not overwhelm - which is great."
"Very quick and easy too make. I made it for a salad luncheon and everyone thought it was wonderful."
"This salad is way better than the ready-made (canned) 3-bean salads (from various brands) that you can buy in the store. Do yourself and your family a favor, go ahead and make this instead of buying a pre-made one. This serves more people, and tastes better, too."
"Even though I don't care for canned vegetables, this was very good. The celery adds a nice crunch, and you can add in other fresh vegetables if you like--zucchini, pepper, cucumbers. If I make it again, I would cut the oil in half to cut some of the fat from an otherwise healthy salad. If you like "pickled" dishes, you'll like this!"