"You don't need a bowl to stir up this chocolate cake, so cleanup in a snap," writes Diane Hixon of Niceville, Florida. "I serve warm squares of the moist cake with scoops of coffee ice cream."
Recommended: 57 Bake Sale Recipes That’ll Earn Big Bucks
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee, room temperature
- In a greased 8-in. square baking dish, combine the flour, brown sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the center; add oil, lemon juice and vanilla. Stir just until moistened. Add coffee; stir until batter is smooth.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Mix-In-The-Pan Cake in Quick Cooking January/February 2003, p37
Reviews for Mix-in-the-Pan Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 14, 2009
"A very good, light, moist cake. Just a note that you won't be able to taste the coffee. It accents the chocolate, but does not stand out at all."