Mitten Sandwiches Recipe
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (about 2 pounds)
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- Red liquid food coloring
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup grape jelly
- 1. Place the roast in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or until the meat is tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, divide bread dough into eighths. Tint two portions with red food coloring; divide red portions into thirds. Roll each into a 3-in. rope; set aside. For each mitten, flatten one white portion into a 4-in. oval. Place on a greased baking sheet. With a sharp knife or kitchen shears, make a 1-1/2-in. diagonal cut into side of oval toward the center for the thumb. Tuck tip under to form a round thumb; spread thumb and mitten apart.
- 3. For cuff, place a colored rope below each mitten; pinch edges together and flatten slightly. In a small bowl, beat egg and water; brush over dough (dough does not need to rise). Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- 4. Remove roast from slow cooker; discard juices. Shred beef with a fork and return to slow cooker. Add the barbecue sauce, brown sugar, ketchup and jelly; heat through. Split mitten rolls; fill with shredded beef. Yield: 6 sandwiches.
1 each: 665 calories, 20g fat (6g saturated fat), 134mg cholesterol, 1077mg sodium, 85g carbohydrate (44g sugars, 3g fiber), 40g protein
Reviews for Mitten Sandwiches
"We enjoyed this a few weeks ago,...so simple, a perfect side after the sport!"