These beans are wonderful with tortillas or corn bread, and I'll often serve them with a salad for a main meal. I've made this recipe for more than 20 years, and it's always well received by friends and family.
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 can (28 ounces) pork and beans, drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) chili beans, drained
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- In a bowl, combine the first 10 ingredients. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 450° for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°; bake 35 minutes longer, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 15 minutes more. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Mission Baked Beans in Country August/September 1992, p47
Reviews for Mission Baked Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review