Miso Soup with Tofu and Enoki
This traditional Japanese soup has a mild flavor but is so comforting. Sliced green onions provide a bit of color.—Bridget Klusman, Otsego, Michigan
5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 packages (3-1/2 ounces each) fresh enoki mushrooms or 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup miso paste
- 1 package (16 ounces) firm tofu, drained and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- Thinly sliced green onions
- In a Dutch oven, saute the mushrooms, onion, garlic and ginger in oil
- until tender. Add the water and miso paste. Bring to a boil. Reduce
- heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Add tofu; heat through.
- Ladle into bowls; garnish with green onions. Yield: 5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 147 calories, 8 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 601 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 10 g protein.