This fun, colorful recipe from Elm Grove, Wisconsin's Beverly Rice is so easy because you don't need to peel the apples. Berries and rhubarb give the flavor a boost."It's great hot or cold, over ice cream or just as is," says Beverly, winner in Milwaukee.
16 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Cook: 30 min. + standing
- 3 pounds tart apples, chopped
- 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 packages (.3 ounce each) sugar-free strawberry gelatin
- In a Dutch oven, combine the fruit and orange juice. Bring to a boil
- over medium heat, stirring frequently. Sprinkle gelatin over fruit
- mixture; stir until combined. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for
- 15-20 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Remove from the heat; mash fruit. Let stand for 15 minutes. Serve
- warm or chilled. Yield: 8 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup equals 75 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 24 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 fruit.