- 1 package (12 ounces) vanilla wafers, crushed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Refrigerated butter-flavored spray (about 4 ounces)
- 1 package frozen phyllo dough (16 ounce, 14-inch x 9-inch sheet size), thawed
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, combine the wafer crumbs, sugar and cinnamon; set aside. Spritz a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan with butter-flavored spray. Unroll phyllo sheets. Place one sheet of phyllo in pan; spritz with butter-flavored spray and brush to coat evenly. Repeat seven times, spritzing and brushing each layer. (Keep remaining phyllo dough covered with plastic wrap to avoid drying out.)
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup crumb mixture over phyllo in pan. Layer with two sheets of phyllo, spritzing and brushing with butter-flavored spray between each. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup crumb mixture; repeat 11 times. Top with one phyllo sheet; spritz and brush with butter-flavored spray. Repeat seven more times, spritzing and brushing each layer.
- Cut into 15 squares; cut each square in half diagonally. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, bring the sugar, water, honey and lemon peel to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool to lukewarm. Pour syrup over warm baklava. Yield: 30 servings.
Reviews for Miracle Baklava
"Thanks for the recipe and try to add cinnamon stick to the syrup in replace of the vanilla and you will test a fantastic delicious ."
"I made this for a full Greek meal that we are having in a few days!! It turned out simply wonderful . It is so tasty served warm. I have never worked with phyllo dough before, but in no time I got the hang of it. There is time involved but the end result is well worth it."
"My greek co-worker said it was one of the best recipes of baklava that she had tried - I will definitely make it again."
"I personally love and prefer this Baklava cause I don't like nuts at all. If and when I have raisins or craberries on hand I'll add a handful. This is truely an easy and tasty dessert."
"This recipe was fantastic. It was very easy, and was definitely one of the most economical baklava recipes that I looked at. It was just delicious!!!"
"This was very simple to make even though it looks complicated and it was very good!"