Minty Peas and Onions Recipe
MOTHER could always rely on peas and onions when she was in a hurry and needed a quick side dish. Besides being easy to prepare, this dish was loved by everyone in our family. It was handed down to my mother by my grandmother. -Santa D'Addario, Jacksonville, Florida
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 20 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 2 large onions, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint or 2 teaspoons dried mint
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onions and red pepper in oil until onions just begin to soften. Add peas; cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until heated through. Stir in mint and cook for 1 minute. Yield: 8 servings.
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving equals 1 starch, 1 fat; also, 114 calories, 118 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol, 15 gm carbohydrate, 6 gm protein, 4 gm fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC