Minty Peas and Onions
MOTHER could always rely on peas and onions when she was in a hurry and needed a quick side dish. Besides being easy to prepare, this dish was loved by everyone in our family. It was handed down to my mother by my grandmother.
-Santa D'Addario, Jacksonville, Florida
8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 large onions, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 packages (16 ounces each) frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh mint or 2 teaspoons dried mint
- In a large skillet, saute onions and red pepper in oil until onions
- just begin to soften. Add peas; cook, uncovered, stirring
- occasionally, for 10 minutes or until heated through. Stir in mint
- and cook for 1 minute. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutritional Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One serving equals 1 starch, 1 fat; also, 114 calories, 118 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol, 15 gm carbohydrate, 6 gm protein, 4 gm fat.