Minty Lamb Pie Recipe
Mint—a traditional partner with lamb—gets a special twist in this recipe's unique pastry crust.—Vera Reid, Laramie, Wyoming
- MINT CRUST:
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup minced fresh mint
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 pound lamb stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 cups water, divided
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 8 pearl onions
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1. In a bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add mint. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until mixture can be formed into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to fit a 9-in. pie plate. Bake at 425° for 12 minutes; set aside.
- 2. In a large skillet, brown lamb in shortening; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add 1 cup of water and mushrooms; cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until meat is tender.
- 3. Meanwhile, place peas, carrots and onions in a large saucepan; cover with water. Cover and cook until tender; drain. Spoon into the crust. Using a slotted spoon, remove lamb and mushrooms from skillet and place over vegetable. Combine flour and remaining water until smooth; stir into pan drippings. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly. Pour over lamb mixture. Serve with a spoon. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 each: 399 calories, 23g fat (6g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 491mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 17g protein.
Reviews for Minty Lamb Pie
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC