Minty Chocolate Crackles
Each December, I whip up big batches of these chewy mint morsels, then watch them disappear in a flash! Everyone I know enjoys them.
24 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup plus 4-1/2 teaspoons shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup crushed peppermint candy
- Additional sugar
- In a microwave or double boiler, melt chocolate chips; cool slightly.
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Beat in egg, corn syrup,
- extract and melted chocolate. Combine flour, baking soda and salt;
- gradually add to the creamed mixture. Fold in candy. Roll into 1-in.
- balls; roll in sugar. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 12-14 minutes or until edges are firm and
- surface cracks (center will be soft). Cool for 5 minutes before
- removing to wire racks. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 157 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 59 mg sodium,