- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- 1 tablespoon crushed peppermint candy
- 2/3 cup mint chocolate chip ice cream
- 2 individual round sponge cakes
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine the egg whites, sugar and cream of tartar. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating over low heat until egg mixture reaches 160°, about 12 minutes. Remove from heat. Add vanilla and salt; beat until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Fold in peppermint candy.
- Place sponge cakes on an ungreased foil-lined baking sheet and top each with 1/3 cup ice cream. Immediately spread meringue over ice cream and cake, sealing it to foil on sheet. Broil 8 in. from heat for 3-5 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve immediately. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Minty Baked Alaska in Reminisce Extra February 2000, p45
Reviews for Minty Baked Alaska
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review