- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 2 whole cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup minced fresh mint
- GARBANZO CURRY:
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup water
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute the cinnamon, cloves and cumin seeds in oil until aromatic, about 1-2 minutes. Add rice; cook and stir until lightly browned. Add water and mint. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion and cinnamon in oil until onion is tender. Add the curry, garlic and ginger; cook 1 minute longer. Add the garbanzo beans, water, tomato sauce, lemon juice and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 4-6 minutes or until slightly thickened. Discard cinnamon; stir in cilantro.
- Fluff rice with a fork. Discard cinnamon and cloves. Serve with garbanzo curry. Yield: 3 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.
Reviews for Minted Rice with Garbanzo Curry
"This was very yummy! When I make it again, I'll use less water for the curry and no lemon juice as that gave an unpleasant flavor to the curry. But otherwise, the two together were wonderful and a fantastic way to use up some mint from my Aerogarden!"
"We thought each part of the dish (rice and curry parts) were okay separate, but definitely were YUMMY together. These need to be made for the same meal and eaten in the same spoonful.We used 1/8th tsp of the ginger because we only had ground ginger; and it was not over-powering (and I really don't like powdered ginger). Also used 2 Tbsp dried peppermint leaves instead of the fresh mint.My husband said he could taste the mint, but I could only _feel_ it - at the junction of my nasal passage and my mouth. It was a wonderfully aromatic feeling.Great dish Jemima! Thanks to your son for submitting it!!!"
"I'm a huge meat eater and this was a nice suprise. My 4 year old loved it. I followed the directions and it turned out delicious. I'm going to be making this one again."
"Perfect weeknight vegetarian dish."
"This recipe took me back to when I used to work for an Indian doctor and his wife as a nanny. They would always make extra when cooking so I could experience their foods and this was just wonderul."
"I loved it"
"Best rice I've ever eaten! The garbanzos are interesting. I followed the recipe exactly the first time; all I could taste was lemon. The second time I made it, I cut the lemon juice in half and doubled the curry powder. Perfect!"
"The texture of the garbanzo beans were perfect, however, I followed the advice that some of the other users suggested with adding more ginger. That, to me, ruined the dish. If this is your first time making this dish, stick with the recipe and than add more of the ingredients to your liking the second time around. I also didn't use as much cilantro as the recipe called for, and felt like it was still overpowering."
"this is a great recipe for anyone new to curry."
"Next time I might try mixing in the fresh mint AFTER cooking the rice. Also, I used a good deal more ginger, like 2-3 Tablespoons, and it was very good."