Minted Rice Casserole Recipe
The mild, minty flavor and almond crunch make this nice side dish for a meal with lamb. People will likely be impressed when you prepare this different and palate-pleasing rice casserole. —Ann Eastman Greenville, California
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- Dash garlic salt
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mint leaves
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1. In a saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Remove from the heat; add rice. Cover and let stand for 3 minutes; drain. Rinse with cold water; drain well.
- 2. In a skillet, melt butter. Add rice and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until butter is almost absorbed, about 5 minutes. Turn into a 1-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with garlic salt. Pour broth over rice.
- 3. Cover and bake at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until most of liquid is absorbed. Add mint and fluff with a fork. Sprinkle almonds over top. Bake, uncovered, 5-10 minutes longer. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 210 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 1,155 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC