The mild, minty flavor and almond crunch make this nice side dish for a meal with lamb. People will likely be impressed when you prepare this different and palate-pleasing rice casserole. —Ann Eastman Greenville, California
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- Dash garlic salt
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mint leaves
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- In a saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Remove from the heat; add rice. Cover and let stand for 3 minutes; drain. Rinse with cold water; drain well.
- In a skillet, melt butter. Add rice and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until butter is almost absorbed, about 5 minutes. Turn into a 1-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with garlic salt. Pour broth over rice.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 35-40 minutes or until most of liquid is absorbed. Add mint and fluff with a fork. Sprinkle almonds over top. Bake, uncovered, 5-10 minutes longer. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Minted Rice Casserole in Taste of Home April/May 1993, p35
Reviews for Minted Rice Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review