This is my version of an old Greek recipe. The addition of dried mint flakes sets these meatballs apart from any others I've ever tried. - Joyce Acheson, Soldier Pond, Maine
4 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 4 slices bread
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried mint flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Dip bread in water; squeeze out excess moisture. Crumble bread into a
- large bowl. Add the egg, onion, parsley, garlic, mint, salt and
- pepper; mix well. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into
- 1-in. balls. Roll in flour. In a large skillet, cook meatballs in
- oil over medium heat for 15 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Yield: 40 meatballs.
If you find you don't often use certain dried herbs (such as dried mint flakes), it's best to refrigerate them after opening. The more airtight the container, the longer they will keep their flavor.