Mint Twist Meringues
Light and airy, these delicate meringues give you a refreshing burst of peppermint. I sprinkle them with crushed mint candies and baking cocoa. —Cheryl Perry, Hertford, North Carolina
24 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min. + standing
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup crushed red and green mint candies
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, cream of tartar and extract on
- medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1
- tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and
- sugar is dissolved.
- Pipe or drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined
- baking sheets. Sprinkle with candies.
- Bake at 325° for 40-45 minutes or until set and dry. Turn oven
- off; leave meringues in oven for 1 hour. Remove to wire rack.
- Sprinkle with cocoa. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cookie equals 17 calories, trace fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 5 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.