My folks love these cake-like bars, so I always make them for the holidays. The chocolaty mint squares look simply scrumptious and taste even better.
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint
- 2 to 3 drops green or red food coloring, optional
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons boiling water
- In a bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Transfer half of the batter to another bowl; stir in nuts and chocolate. Spread into a greased 9-in. square baking pan.
- Stir peppermint extract and food coloring if desired into remaining batter. Spoon over chocolate layer; cut through batter with a knife to swirl. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a saucepan, melt chocolate and butter. remove from the heat; stir in confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough water to achieve glaze consistency. Pour over brownies and spread evenly. Cut into bars. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Mint Swirl Bars in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2002, p34
Reviews for Mint Swirl Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review