Each slice of this dreamy layer cake is full of cool peppermint. The chopped peppermint patties in the frosting are a refreshing surprise. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/3 cups water
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon mint extract
- 4 cups white baking chips
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 9 miniature chocolate-covered peppermint patties, finely chopped
- Additional miniature chocolate-covered peppermint patties
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, eggs, oil and extract; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Place white chips in a large bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chips; whisk until smooth. Stir in butter. Chill for 30 minutes, stirring once.
- Beat on high for 2-3 minutes or until soft peaks form and frosting is light and fluffy. Set aside 2-1/2 cups for frosting cake. Stir patties into remaining frosting.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with half of the peppermint patty filling. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake layer. Frost top and sides of cake with reserved frosting. Store in the refrigerator. Garnish with additional patties. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Mint Patty Cake in Cake Mix Treats - 2012 Winter 2011
Reviews for Mint Patty Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review