Lighter than air, these minty meringues will melt in your mouth, promises Karla Retzer in Grantsburg, Wisconsin. “It just wouldn't be Christmas at our house without these special cookies that everyone can enjoy.”
32 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 2 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 6 to 8 drops green food coloring, optional
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites, salt, cream of tartar, extract
- and food coloring if desired on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until
- stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved, about 6 minutes.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined
- baking sheets. Bake at 250° for 40-45 minutes or until firm to
- the touch. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove to wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 32
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 22 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 13 mg sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein.