Lighter than air, these minty meringues will melt in your mouth, promises Karla Retzer in Grantsburg, Wisconsin. “It just wouldn't be Christmas at our house without these special cookies that everyone can enjoy.”
- 2 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 6 to 8 drops green food coloring, optional
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- In a small bowl, beat the egg whites, salt, cream of tartar, extract and food coloring if desired on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved, about 6 minutes. Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake at 250° for 40-45 minutes or until firm to the touch. Turn oven off; leave meringues in oven for 1-1/2 hours. Remove to wire racks. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 32 cookies.
Originally published as Mint Meringues in Light & Tasty December/January 2006, p49
Reviews for Mint Meringues
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review