Mint-Mallow Sandwich Cookies Recipe
A lightened version of Whoopie Pies, with a peppermint twist to make them Christmas-y. Kids love them! Instead of adding peppermint extract and red food coloring, you can add 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies to the marshmallow fluff. $mdash;Dion Frscher, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup marshmallow creme
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 drop red food coloring, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Beat in egg white and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa and baking soda; gradually add to sugar mixture and mix well.
- 2. Shape into 3/4-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 7-9 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. In a small bowl, combine the marshmallow creme, extract and food coloring if desired. Spread on the bottoms of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 sandwich cookie equals 91 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 35 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC