Mint-Mallow Sandwich Cookies Recipe
A lightened version of Whoopie Pies, with a peppermint twist to make them Christmas-y. Kids love them! Instead of adding peppermint extract and red food coloring, you can add 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies to the marshmallow fluff. $mdash;Dion Frscher, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup marshmallow creme
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 drop red food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Beat in egg white and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa and baking soda; gradually add to sugar mixture and mix well.
- Shape into 3/4-in. balls; place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 7-9 minutes or until set. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine the marshmallow creme, extract and food coloring if desired. Spread on the bottoms of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Mint-Mallow Sandwich Cookies in Healthy Cooking December/January 2013, p72
Reviews for Mint-Mallow Sandwich Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 15, 2012
"Had terrible luck with this recipe. Dough never solidified--remained dry and crumbly. Cookies came out hard & with strange texture. I triple-checked the ingredients & instructions and I followed instructions."