Mint Ice Cream Recipe
Almost too pretty to eat, this refreshing peppermint-pink ice cream is my husband's all time favorite. It rivals any commercial brand we've tasted and melts all resistance to dessert!
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups milk
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups crushed peppermint candies
- 3 drops red food coloring
- 1. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Gradually add milk; stir until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- 2. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- 3. Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Chill for several hours or overnight.
- 4. In a blender, combine 1 cup cream, vanilla and crushed candies; cover and process until candies are finely chopped. In a large bowl, combine the custard, peppermint ,mixture, food coloring and remaining cream.
- 5. Fill ice cream freezer cylinder two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Remove from the freezer 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 2-1/2 quarts.
1/2 cup: 299 calories, 20g fat (12g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 117mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Mint Ice Cream
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC