Mint Ice Cream Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups milk
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups crushed peppermint candies
- 3 drops red food coloring
- 1. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Gradually add milk; stir until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- 2. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into eggs; return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- 3. Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Chill for several hours or overnight.
- 4. In a blender, combine 1 cup cream, vanilla and crushed candies; cover and process until candies are finely chopped. In a large bowl, combine the custard, peppermint ,mixture, food coloring and remaining cream.
- 5. Fill ice cream freezer cylinder two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Remove from the freezer 10 minutes before serving. Yield: 2-1/2 quarts.
1/2 cup: 299 calories, 20g fat (12g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 117mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (23g sugars, trace fiber), 4g protein
Reviews for Mint Ice Cream
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.