Mint-Filled Brownies Recipe
These delectable brownies have a creamy peppermint filling, which I sometimes tint green to create an attractive dessert. Edith Holmes Brookfield, Massachusetts
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 tablespoon half-and-half cream
- 2/3 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup chopped raisins
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons hot milk
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Green food coloring, optional
- In a bowl, cream the shortening, sugar and vanilla. Add the eggs; mix well. Beat in the chocolate and cream. Combine the flour and salt; add to creamed mixture. Stir in walnuts and raisins.
- Spread into two greased and floured 9-in. square baking pans. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Combine the filling ingredients; spread over one brownie layer. Top with second layer. Chill before cutting. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Mint-Filled Brownies in Reminisce November/December 2004, p49
Reviews for Mint-Filled Brownies(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review