Some 40 years ago, I whipped up these minty morsels as a way to use leftover candy canes...and my daughter has enthusiastically anticipated the cookies for Christmas ever since!
36 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candies
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugars. Add the eggs, one at a time,
- beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the dry
- ingredients; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in crushed
- candies. Shape into a 15-in. roll; wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate
- for 4 hours or until firm.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/8-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased
- baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes or until edges begin
- to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 6 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 115 calories, 6 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 88 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.