Some 40 years ago, I whipped up these minty morsels as a way to use leftover candy canes...and my daughter has enthusiastically anticipated the cookies for Christmas ever since! —Mrs. Robert Nelson, Des Moines, Iowa
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup finely crushed peppermint candies
- In a bowl, cream shortening and sugars. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Stir in crushed candies. Divide dough in half; shape each into a 7-in. long roll. Wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate 4 hours or until firm.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: about 4 dozen.
Originally published as Peppermint Cookies in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2000, p30
Reviews for Mint Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review