This recipe is a combination of two different ones—the chocolate cake from my childhood and the filling from a pie I saw in a cookbook. The flavor is reminiscent of an after-dinner chocolate mint. —Nadine Taylor, Durham, North Carolina
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1/4 cup milk
- Dash salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 to 3 drops green food coloring, optional
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a small bowl, combine cocoa and water until smooth; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder. Add the milk, mayonnaise, eggs, vanilla and cocoa mixture; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, combine the marshmallows, milk and salt in a small saucepan; cook and stir over low heat until marshmallows are melted. Remove from the heat; stir in peppermint extract and food coloring if desired. Transfer to a bowl; refrigerate until chilled.
- Fold in whipped cream. Place bottom cake layer on a serving plate; spread with a third of the filling. Repeat layers twice.
- For topping, combine chocolate chips and cream in a small saucepan; cook and stir over low heat until chips are melted. Drizzle over top and down sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 14 servings.
Originally published as Mint Chocolate Torte in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2009, p163
Reviews for Mint Chocolate Torte
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review