Mint Chocolate Torte Recipe
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1/4 cup milk
- Dash salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 to 3 drops green food coloring, optional
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a small bowl, combine cocoa and water until smooth; set aside. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, baking soda, salt and baking powder. Add the milk, mayonnaise, eggs, vanilla and cocoa mixture; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, combine the marshmallows, milk and salt in a small saucepan; cook and stir over low heat until marshmallows are melted. Remove from the heat; stir in peppermint extract and food coloring if desired. Transfer to a bowl; refrigerate until chilled.
- Fold in whipped cream. Place bottom cake layer on a serving plate; spread with a third of the filling. Repeat layers twice.
- For topping, combine chocolate chips and cream in a small saucepan; cook and stir over low heat until chips are melted. Drizzle over top and down sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 14 servings.
Reviews for Mint Chocolate Torte
Sort By :
I have made this a few times, and plan on making two for St. Patrick's Day. My family, friends, and husband's co-workers all loved it. So easy to make also. I love that it's all from scratch. Makes me feel like a baker.
My friend Pam made this for another friends Birthday and it tasted just like mint chocolate chips. It was a hit with everyone. Can't wait to get started.
This cake was very delicious but for some reason my filling came out too watery and the cake ended up soaking in the filling. It was still delicious but I think next time I will use whipped topping instead of the heavy cream.
I made this as written, except I used the green to fill the two layers, then I made a Chocolate Frosting to go over the whole cake. I used the Hershey's Chocolate Buttercream Frosting on the cake, and I added 1/2 tsp peppermint extract to the frosting. It was an excellent cake.