- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 drops green food coloring
- 1-1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Prepare cake batter according to package directions, using a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a large bowl, combine the frosting ingredients until smooth. Spread over cooled cake.
- For topping, in a microwave, melt chocolate chips and butter; stir until smooth. Stir in extract. Spread over frosting. Refrigerate until set. Yield: 20-24 servings.
Reviews for Mint Chocolate Cake
"I think Im going to use mint flavored chocolate chips in the topping in place of the plain milk chocolate. Ill just skip adding the extract to the topping"
"Love the chocolate mint taste! I used chocolate mint chips for the top layer, so I only needed the peppermint extract for the middle layer. Such an easy and delicious dessert!"
"This cake was a hit! In stead of making a flat cake, though, I made a two-layer cake with the mint frosting and chocolate on both layers, and there was plenty of the chocolate for both the inside layer AND to cover the outside of the cake. I will definitely make it again."
"I make this dessert often for church suppers. It is always a huge hit!"
"It was delicious. The green frosting was thick and caused the cake to crumble so I put a tablespoon on each piece and spread it evenly with a wet spoon. The melted choc was a little thin and messy. I needed to cool it a bit before using it. Maybe that step should be first and it would be ready to spread at the end."