Mint Chip Ice Cream Recipe
- 1-3/4 cups milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Pinch salt
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 4 drops green food coloring, optional
- 1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- In a small saucepan, heat the milk to 175°; stir in the sugar and salt until dissolved. Whisk in a small amount of the hot mixture to the eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat.
- Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in whipping cream, extracts and food coloring if desired. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Stir in the chocolate chips. Fill ice cream freezer cylinder two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Transfer ice cream to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 1-1/2 quarts.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Mint Chip Ice Cream(2)
Sort By :
Good recipe. Not a custard base, so more ice-milk like than I prefer. Also, when freezing the chips tend to freeze in the same area making some mouthfuls very chippy.
Nicely flavored and nice color too! I used Andes Mint chips (chopped) instead of the chocolate chips, and it was superb! Thanks for a great recipe! This one is a "keeper."
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Chocolate Chip Recipes >
- Chocolate Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Egg Desserts >
- Egg Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Homemade Ice Cream >
- Ice Cream Recipes >
- Low Sodium Desserts >
- Low Sodium Recipes >
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream >