Mint Chip Freeze
I'm a retired home economics teacher and have quite a collection of recipes from my classes. My students really like this refreshing frozen dessert made with ice cream and sandwich cookies.
- Mrs. Robert Lamb
30-36 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 2 packages (15-1/2 ounces each) Oreo cookies, crushed
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1 gallon mint chocolate chip ice cream, softened
- 1 carton (16 ounces) frozen whipped topping, thawed
- Shaved chocolate
- In a large bowl, combine the cookie crumbs and butter. Press into two
- 13-in. x 9-in. dishes. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk, sugar, butter and chocolate.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly, about 12
- minutes. Remove from the heat; cool completely.
- Spread ice cream over each crust. Spoon cooled chocolate sauce over
- top; evenly spread to cover. Freeze until firm. Spread with whipped
- topping. Desserts may be frozen for up to 2 months. Remove from
- freezer 10 minutes before cutting. Garnish with shaved chocolate.
- Yield: 2 desserts (15-18 servings each).