Mint Candy Cane Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Green and red food coloring
- 1. In a bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugars. Beat in milk, egg and extracts. Gradually add flour and salt. Set aside half of the dough. Divide remaining dough in half; add green food coloring to one portion and red food coloring to the other. Wrap dough separately in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- 2. Roll 1/2 teaspoonfuls of each color of dough into 3-in. ropes. Place each green rope next to a white rope; press together gently and twist. Repeat with red ropes and remaining white ropes. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Curve one end, forming a cane. Bake at 350° for 11-13 minutes or until set. Cool for 2 minutes; carefully remove to wire racks. Yield: about 6 dozen.
2 each: 121 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 46mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Mint Candy Cane Cookies
"I found this recipe frustrating. the cookies were cute but the dough was delicate to work with so my children were not enjoying it either. I also added extra mint flavor, but after baking it was still lighter than I would have preferred. I ended up rolling up the dough into spiral cookies after two pans worth. probably won't repeat."