Mint Brownie Cupcakes Recipe
"Are they a brownie or are they a cupcake?" There's no wrong answer to this question, I tell my first-grade students. I found the recipe when I began teaching nearly 20 years ago. I grew up on a farm in north-central Alberta and love to bake for my husband, a psychologist, and our children. —Carol Maertz, Spruce Grove, Alberta
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min. + chilling YIELD:10 servings
- 1/2 cup mint chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Green or red food coloring, optional
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Additional chocolate chips, optional
- 1. In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt chips and butter; stir until smooth. Cool slightly; stir in sugar and eggs. Gradually stir flour into chocolate mixture until smooth.
- 2. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
- 3. In a large saucepan, cook and stir marshmallows and milk over low heat until smooth. Remove from the heat; stir in extract and food coloring if desired.
- 4. Transfer to a bowl; refrigerate for 15 minutes or until cooled. Fold in whipped cream. Spread over cupcakes. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Sprinkle with additional chocolate chips if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 10 cupcakes.
1 cupcake equals 311 calories, 20 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 91 mg cholesterol, 94 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC