Minnesota Wild Rice Salad
Everyone thinks this is one of my best salads because it features wild rice—a major crop in my home state of Minnesota. Cashews give a subtle nutty flavor.
8-10 ServingsPrep: 1 hour + chilling
- 6 cups water
- 3/4 cup uncooked wild rice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2-1/2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks, drained and halved
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 1-1/2 cups seedless grapes, halved
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup chutney
- 3/4 cup cashew pieces
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add rice and 1/4
- teaspoon salt. Cover tightly and simmer for 50 minutes. Cool; drain
- if necessary. In a large bowl, combine rice, chicken, pineapple,
- celery, grapes, mayonnaise, chutney and remaining salt. Cover and
- chill until ready to serve; toss with cashews. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Wine: Light-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.