Miniature Napoleons Recipe
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 large egg yolk, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 1 minute longer.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolk; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in 1 tablespoon butter and vanilla. Cool to room temperature without stirring. Refrigerate until chilled.
- 3. Unfold puff pastry; place on an ungreased baking sheet. Prick dough thoroughly with a fork. Bake according to package directions. Remove to a wire rack to cool
- 4. In a small bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form. Fold into custard. Use a fork to split pastry in half horizontally. Spread filling over the bottom half; replace top. Cover and freeze for 4 hours or until firm.
- 5. Cut into 1-1/2-in. x 1-in. rectangles. In a microwave, melt chocolate and remaining butter; stir until smooth. Drizzle over pastries. Freeze until serving. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
1 pastry equals 49 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 32 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Miniature Napoleons
"These were fantastic and pretty simple to prepare. I used white chocolate because it's what I had, came out perfect. I don't think the recipe made 54,though. I guess i could have cut them smaller, but I would say this made about 20."
"Love them. Served them with fresh raspberries and fresh mint leaves. Will make them again."
"OMG!, if the French knew about these they would start consulting American cookbooks!"