Miniature Meat Pies Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 to 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in chili sauce and soup mix; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sesame seeds if desired and salt. Cut in shortening and cheese until crumbly. Combine milk and vinegar; gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.
- 3. Divide dough in half; roll out to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a lightly floured 2-1/2-in. round cutter. Place half of the circles 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Top each with a rounded tablespoonful of beef mixture; top with remaining circles. Moisten edges with water and press with a fork to seal. Cut a slit in the top of each.
- 4. Bake at 425° for 12-16 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately; or cool, then wrap each in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag. Seal and freeze for up to 3 months.
- 5. To use frozen meat pies: Unwrap and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 14-16 minutes or until heated through. Yield: about 1-1/2 dozen.
2 each: 508 calories, 30g fat (10g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 983mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 17g protein
Reviews for Miniature Meat Pies
"We loved these at our house. I especially liked that you can freeze them and take out a few at a time. The original recipe, which was what I used, called for a whole packet of onion soup mix, which seemed to be fine and not too salty. (It also called for added salt, which was completely unnecessary.) As my kids say, "this is a keeper!""