You can easily make several of these pretty palaces with a boxed cake mix, canned frosting and a few common confections. Grab a goblet of milk and enjoy one with your prince of princess. &dmash;Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Featured In: 30 Creative Birthday Cakes
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 2-1/2 cups vanilla frosting
- 2 milk chocolate candy bars (1.55 ounces each)
- 27 nonpareil candies
- 12 pretzel sticks
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 drop blue food coloring
- 3 sticks Fruit Stripe gum
- 6 small ice cream sugar cones
- 36 star sprinkles
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour batter into a greased 11x7-in. baking pan and six greased muffin cups. Bake at 350° for 20-30 minutes for cake and 15-18 minutes for cupcakes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool cupcakes for 5 minutes and cake for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
- Cut the cake into six square pieces; place on serving plates. Frost tops and sides of cakes. Position a cupcake on top of each; frost cupcakes.
- For drawbridges, divide each candy bar into four three-piece sections. Center one section on one side of each cake; gently press into cake. Divide the two remaining chocolate sections into three pieces; place one above each drawbridge for door. Cut three nonpareil candies in half; arrange a half circle above each door. Press pretzels into cake on each side of bridge.
- In a resealable plastic bag, shake coconut and food coloring until coconut is evenly colored. Sprinkle around bases of castles to represent water in the moat. Cut each stick of gum in half widthwise; cut one end to form a flag. Trim sugar cone tips; dot with frosting, and attach flags to frosted cone tips.
- Place three nonpareil candies on each cupcake for windows. Frost backs of remaining candies; place one on the front of each cone. Attach sprinkles to cones. Position cones on cupcakes. Yield: 6 cakes.
Originally published as Miniature Castle Cakes in Quick Cooking January/February 2002, p57
Reviews for Miniature Castle Cakes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review