Mini Sweet Potato Muffins Recipe
I'm always looking for ways to "healthify" recipes that my husband critiques. He loves the light texture and spicy streusel of these muffins. —Meredith Hedeen, New Kensington, Pennsylvania
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons biscuit/baking mix
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking oats
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cold butter
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first nine ingredients. In another bowl, combine the eggs, potatoes, water, oil and applesauce. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- 2. Coat miniature muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners; fill two-thirds full. For streusel, combine the baking mix, oats and sugars; cut in butter until crumbly. Stir in ginger. Sprinkle over batter.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 4-1/2 dozen.
1 muffin equals 51 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 45 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1/2 starch.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC