Mini Shepherd's Pies Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/3 cup chili sauce or ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/4 cups mashed potato flakes
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 tube (12 ounces) refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 1/2 cup crushed potato chips
- Paprika, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the chili sauce, vinegar and salt; set aside.
- 2. In a small saucepan, bring water and butter to a boil. Pour into a small bowl. Whisk in potato flakes until blended. Beat in cream cheese until smooth.
- 3. Press biscuit dough onto the bottoms and up the sides of 10 greased muffin cups. Fill with beef mixture and top with potatoes. Sprinkle with potato chips; press down lightly.
- 4. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with paprika if desired. Serve immediately, or cool before placing in a single layer in a freezer container. Cover and freeze for up to 2 months.
- 5. To use frozen pies: Thaw in the refrigerator for 8 hours. Place on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 375° for 15-18 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 5 servings.
1 serving (2 each) equals 535 calories, 24 g fat (13 g saturated fat), 82 mg cholesterol, 1,310 mg sodium, 54 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 25 g protein.
Reviews for Mini Shepherd's Pies
"These were really fun to make, I had the help of my 10 yr old son. He loved putting them together and loved eating them!"
"These were a hit of the party! Well worth the time to make and they reheated beautifully if you want to make them beforehand. Wonderful!"
"Worth the time to make these! I doubled the recipe so I could freeze some for fast lunch or dinner. I used someone else' tip and made the biscuits from Bisquick and topped w/ a tiny bit of cheddar and instead of chips did ritz crackers. Very good! Even my 2 year old ate it! A winner!"
"This was good, but if you want it to be great, here's what you do:use the ketchup, not the chili sauceadd frozen mixed veggies to the beef mixture AND about 1/3 cup of heavy cream (you will be happy you did, trust me)I also agree with the shredded cheddar on top instead of potato chips.I used leftover mashed potatoes (real) with butter, cream, salt and pepper added. My son even ate the green beans and commented that they actually tasted good. Success."
"These were a hit! I did sub the biscuits for crescents and used cheesey instant mashed. Will make these again"
"We love these! I used already made mashed potatoes and put cheese on top. New favorite recipe!"
"These were wonderful. I made a few changes though. Instead of the beef I used groung turkey. I did not add the salt as the sodium was to high. I used the chili sauce and reduced fat cream cheese and instead of the potato chips I used reduced fat cheddar cheese. They were very easy to make and very good."
"I just made these this weekend for church party; went over well. I think they are better if baked and served right away; reheating did dry them out somewhat. I used shredded cheese on top instead of potato chips. They were gone in minutes/very easy to make."
"Yummy, quick, and easy. I used ketchup and omitted the vinegar. Fun for the kids. Next time I'll top with some type of shredded cheese. These would be a good potluck dish. Try this tip: use a shot glass to press the biscuits down, it makes things go alot faster."
"I made the following changes/ got the following critics:* Omit vinegar (was a bit strong, kids didn't like that part)* Didn't use the cream cheese (didn't have any)* Season potatoes, they were bland* Added a can of mushrooms, chopped finely* I didn't put the potato flakes on top, instead I sprinkled cheddar cheese* Bis...cuts were diffecult to work with, I suggest making your own with bisquick (will be using that next time). If you do use the biscuits recommended, I suggest you follow the directions! I tried to flatten them in my hand and it didn't work to well! After I decided to follow recipe they worked fine"