Thanks to these hors d'oeuvres, you can cut calories, fat and cleanup by keeping the deep fryer at bay. Our Test Kitchen filled the mouthwatering appetizers with savory turkey sausage, garlic and onion before baking them in the oven to a golden brown.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 pound turkey Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 sheets phyllo dough (14 inches x 9 inches)
- 12 whole chives, optional
- Crumble the sausage into a large nonstick skillet; add onion, red pepper and garlic. Cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in cheese; cool slightly.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; coat with cooking spray. Cover with a second sheet of phyllo: coat with cooking spray. (Until ready to use, keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent drying out.) Cut widthwise into three 4-in. strips, discarding trimmings. Top each with 2 rounded tablespoons of sausage mixture; fold bottom and side edges over filling and roll up. Repeat with remaining phyllo and filling.
- Place seam side down on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 425° for 5-6 minutes or until lightly browned. Tie a chive around each bundle if desired. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Mini Sausage Bundles in Light & Tasty December/January 2006, p28
Reviews for Mini Sausage Bundles
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review