- 1/2 pound turkey Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 12 sheets phyllo dough (14x9-inch size)
- Cooking spray
- 12 whole chives, optional
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large skillet, cook and crumble sausage with onion, red pepper and garlic over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 4-6 minutes. Stir in cheese; cool slightly.
- Place one sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; spritz with cooking spray. Layer with two additional phyllo sheets, spritzing each layer. (Keep remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to prevent it from drying out.) Cut phyllo crosswise into three strips (about 4-1/2-in. wide).
- Place a rounded tablespoon sausage mixture near the end of each strip. Fold end of strip over filling, then fold in sides and roll up. Place on an ungreased baking sheet, seam side down. Repeat with remaining phyllo and filling.
- Bake until lightly browned, 8-10 minutes. If desired, tie bundles with chives. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews forMini Sausage Bundles
"I made these for a tapas party and they were fantastic! It was clumsy at first working with the phyllo dough and rolling up the bundles, but once I figured it out it went fast. Super delicious little pockets of flavor!"
"I changed this recipe up a bit - but we did really like the final result. I used ground beef instead of sausage. Perhaps in doing so the meat mixture seemed pretty bland. So, I added about 1/4 teaspoon of the following extra seasonings: onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, oregano, and a dash of red pepper flakes. This seemed to jazz up the dish a lot more. I paired this recipe with rice & baked green beans and added a brown gravy. Yum!"
"This is a wonderful recipe I can tell as I have been cooking and baking for 58 yrs. since I was 8 years old. I am always interested in recipe that can be baked rather than deep fried. Beverly "