Mini Neapolitan Baked Alaskas
Surprise-there's ice cream inside! With fancy looks and decadent flavor, this recipe's a real showstopper. Kids and adults will love this scaled-down classic. Taste of Home Test Kitchen - Greendale, Wisconsin
4 ServingsPrep: 30 min. Broil: 5 min.
- 4 foil muffin liners
- 4 chocolate wafers
- 1 cup reduced-fat strawberry ice cream
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Flatten muffin liners; place on a baking sheet. Place a wafer on
- each. Scoop 1/4 cup of ice cream onto each wafer; freeze.
- Meanwhile, in a small heavy saucepan, combine the egg whites, sugar
- and cream of tartar; beat on low speed with a portable mixer for 1
- minute. Continue beating over low heat until mixture reaches
- 160°, about 12 minutes. Remove from the heat; add vanilla. Beat
- until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved, about 4 minutes.
- Remove baking sheet from freezer; immediately spread meringue over
- ice cream, sealing to edges of wafers. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat
- for 1-2 minutes or until meringues are lightly browned. Serve
- immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 163 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 99 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, trace fiber,