Mini Mediterranean Pizza Recipe
- 8 ounces lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 whole wheat pita breads (6 inches), cut in half horizontally
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach, thinly sliced
- 12 Greek pitted olives, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomato sauce and rosemary; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 6-9 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. Place pita halves, cut side up, on a baking sheet. Top with meat mixture, tomato, spinach and olives. Sprinkle with cheeses. Bake at 400° for 4-6 minutes or until cheeses are melted. Yield: 4 servings.
1 pizza: 287 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 783mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 21g protein Diabetic Exchanges:1-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
Reviews for Mini Mediterranean Pizza
"Love this, easy, quick and great taste"
"I can't believe no one else has tried this! It's a healthy contest winner, and worthy of the honor. It was easy to make and it got thumbs up from everyone and I have two picky children. The only change I will make is to use black olives next time, as my kids prefer them. I served this with "easy Caesar salad", and will definitely add this to my list of keepers."