I was on a mini-pizza kick and had already served up Mexican and Italian variations, so I opted for a Mediterranean version and came up with these. —Jenny Dubinsky, Inwood, West Virginia
- 8 ounces lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 2 whole wheat pita breads (6 inches), cut in half horizontally
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh baby spinach, thinly sliced
- 12 Greek pitted olives, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook the beef, onion and garlic over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomato sauce and rosemary; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 6-9 minutes or until thickened.
- Place pita halves, cut side up, on a baking sheet. Top with meat mixture, tomato, spinach and olives. Sprinkle with cheeses. Bake at 400° for 4-6 minutes or until cheeses are melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Mini Mediterranean Pizzas in Healthy Cooking August/September 2012, p48
Reviews for Mini Mediterranean Pizza
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review