Mini Chimichangas Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 package (1 pound) egg roll wrappers (14 count)
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Salsa and additional sour cream
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the cheese, sour cream and chilies. Stir in beef mixture. Place an egg roll wrapper on work surface with one point facing you. Place 1/3 cup filling in center. Fold bottom third of wrapper over filling; fold in sides.
- 3. Brush top point with egg white; roll up to seal. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling. (Keep remaining egg roll wrappers covered with waxed paper to avoid drying out.)
- 4. In a large saucepan, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry chimichangas for 1-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm with salsa and sour cream. Yield: 14 servings.
1 each calculated without additional salsa and sour cream equals 285 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 608 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 16 g protein.
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.