- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies, drained
- 1 package (1 pound) egg roll wrappers (14 count)
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Salsa and additional sour cream
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in taco seasoning and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, combine the cheese, sour cream and chilies. Stir in beef mixture. Place an egg roll wrapper on work surface with one point facing you. Place 1/3 cup filling in center. Fold bottom third of wrapper over filling; fold in sides.
- Brush top point with egg white; roll up to seal. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling. (Keep remaining egg roll wrappers covered with waxed paper to avoid drying out.)
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry chimichangas for 1-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm with salsa and sour cream. Yield: 14 servings.
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Mini Chimichangas
"Tasty and so cute! My mom and I made these recently and were very pleased with the results. Make sure to let the filling cool. We were a little hasty, the filling melted through the wraps on a couple of chimis. I will make these again!"
"It is not Christmas with chimichangas for dinner. We serve them as an appetizer. AMAZING!!"
"Can you make ahead and freeze? If so would you cook them first?"
"These were so good and simple to make. We have a cookout once a week so I made them for a trial run. We served them with added sour cream and salsa. Also served mexican rice with them. Made a perfect meal. I am thinking of making mini versions for the superbowl. Could add other things if you'd like. Would be good with black olives and jalapenos if you wanted spicy. Thanks for the great recipe."
"Love this recipe. I made it for a pot luck and it was a hit! We'll be having these for dinner next week!"