Mini Cheddar Bread Bowls Recipe
These golden, cheesy bread "bowls" are a fun and delicious way to serve homemade soup. Try toasting the bread before ladling soup into it. —Angela Carlisle, De Mossville, Kentucky
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add the sugar, salt, 3 cups flour and remaining water. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes while slowly adding cheese and oregano. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 10 pieces; shape each into a ball. Place balls 3 in. apart on two greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- 4. Cut a thin slice off the top of bread. Hollow out bottom of loaf, leaving a 1/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Return to oven for 5 minutes to toast bread bowl before filling. Yield: 10 mini bread bowls.
1 mini bread bowl: 253 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 306mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Reviews for Mini Cheddar Bread Bowls
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC