Mini Cheddar Bread Bowls Recipe
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add the sugar, salt, 3 cups flour and remaining water. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes while slowly adding cheese and oregano. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 10 pieces; shape each into a ball. Place balls 3 in. apart on two greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- 4. Cut a thin slice off the top of bread. Hollow out bottom of loaf, leaving a 1/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Return to oven for 5 minutes to toast bread bowl before filling. Yield: 10 mini bread bowls.
1 mini bread bowl: 253 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 306mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Reviews for Mini Cheddar Bread Bowls
"These were time consuming but worth it! I like to make extra and freeze them. They are great with soup served inside them on a chilly evening."