Mini Carrot Cake Tortes Recipe
"How cute!" is what you'll hear from guests when they spy these individual tortes. A rich cream cheese frosting is sandwiched between layers of moist cake. —Beatriz Marciano, Rockville, Maryland
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 50 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling YIELD:15 servings
- 2 English Breakfast or other black tea bags
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Toasted chopped walnuts, optional
- 1. Place tea bags in a small bowl; add boiling water. Cover and steep for 3-5 minutes. Discard tea bags; set tea aside. Line a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan with parchment paper and coat the paper with cooking spray; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat the sugar, oil, eggs, tea, honey, syrup and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and cloves; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Stir in the carrots, walnuts and raisins. Transfer to prepared pan (pan will be full).
- 3. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan and discard paper.
- 4. For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth.
- 5. Using a metal 3-in. round cutter, cut 15 circles from cake. Cut each circle in half horizontally; place cake bottoms on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Pipe frosting over each. Top with remaining cake layers and frosting; sprinkle with walnuts if desired. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 15 mini tortes.
1 torte (calculated without toasted nuts) equals 565 calories, 27 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 183 mg sodium, 80 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC